May 7, 2008

Homework fun

Joshua came home with a list of spelling words he was supposed to put in a poem (a creative idea that caused him grief!), so I helped him with it. I'm rather proud of it, although some spots are awkward because of the mandatory words. Here's the list of words and what we came up with:

upon
family
later
turn
move
vision
tension
action
relation
solution
once
it's


Poetry -- It's Stressful!

When I have to write a poem
I feel a lot of tension.
I stamp upon the floor
And turn colors I won't mention.

My family says I'm crazy
And not at all their relation.
They tell me if I move away
I'll be the solution to their over-population.

And then I have a vision --
I'll get assistance from my mother.
She can rhyme these twelve words
Faster than any other.

Later, once the poem is done,
I spring outside to action.
I have some new tennis shoes
And I want to check their traction.

4 comments:

Christine said...

Very nice. :) Love the little pat on the back in the third stanza. :) That's a pretty intense assignment - it would be a breeze for some and a headache for others. Nice work. :)

Christine said...

PS I thought you would appreciate the fact that the birds in my dryer accordian hose have started a family. The eggs must have hatched today or yesterday, because I've started hearing little squawks and chirps when the parents come in to feed them. Cute, and kinda funny. I don't want to roast them by running the dryer, and I don't really need to do laundry for the next few days, but how long does it take before baby birds are ready to leave the nest??? Weeks? This could get interesting.

Christine said...

PPS You are a true Bushman, coming up with this poem. I can see any of Dad's siblings doing something very similar. :)

sstar said...

Not sure that "true bushman-ness" is a very strong gene - at least, I'd bet it skipped me. Do you ever do soduku? or is it sudoku ... whatever. Anyway - that's what your little assignent reminded me of. They give you something and you have to fill in the blanks and make it make sense while you're at it.... :)