September 15, 2007

Ever eat a torpedo?

Daniel called out as were shopping, "I want those torpedoes!" Not seeing any torpedoes in the food isles at Target today, I asked him to point them out.

"Ahh, you mean 'Doritos'!" I felt the light coming on. However, when I touched the bag, he was definitely not satisfied.

Hmm . . . some more pointing and urgent insisting . . . not the Ultra Nacho Cheese Doritos or any of the other remarkably prolific varieties now available. Boy, what kind of mama can't find torpedoes for her son? I was failing! A few more blunders and then, "Ohhhh --- Cheetos!" They're similar to torpedoes, right?

Luck was with him -- it has to be for me to buy Cheetos. He hugged them all the way to the checkout, immediately removing them from the grocery sack the minute they were "ours" and fervently enjoying them as we exited the store.

By the time we got home, he had fallen asleep, the bag of torpedoes cradled in his arms and evidence of their impact everywhere.

Damage report? I carried him in carefully, so I avoided turning orange, at least for today.

3 comments:

Christine said...

That's awesome. Who would've known what that could've meant? And how many 2 year olds know what a torpedo is?? :)

There is a fair amount of decoding and translating in the job description of motherhood. Yesterday Seth was so distraught looking intently for his wife. That's all he kept on saying, that he couldn't find his wife. (I completely understand that a person could be distraught about such a search, but I wasn't prepared for it to start so soon!) I found out it was something he had had recently and lost, and started asking specific questions about it's color and where he had it last. Lo and behold I discovered that a "wife" is a little brown race car. Who would have known? (At least cheetos and torpedoes have SOME similarities.) I tried to tell him for quite a while that I'm a wife, and that a wife is a woman, but he laughed and thought that was absurd. So, he found his wife and is presently living happily ever after, and that is that. For now. I'm sure a more intense search will ensue as the years pass.

Sarah said...

Well, Daniel did just turn three, so his vocab is very advanced . . .(she gives a very uppity high-brow look) . . . :)

But what I'm wondering is if I need to get some brown paint and zoom a little faster so I can keep my wife status.

sstar said...

Classic. Absolutely Classic. I'm laughing right out loud!
Here's Joseph's: I FINALLY got him to recognize that Lightning was the bright light, not the sound. I felt that was an accomplishment, but once he got that he immediately assumed that the sound must be "Mater". "Thunder" just wasn't a good partner for "Lightning". Now we have to straighten that out too. But I think I leave it for a while just for the laughs. :)